Your dog might not be checking their calendar, but you can still remind them when it’s their birthday, and no birthday is complete without a cake! Here’s a healthy, dog-friendly cake that’s perfect for celebrating your pup’s big day!
Halina’s Famous Sweet Potato Confetti Cake
You will need 2 round baking tins (5x5x1/2)
1 Pound Ground Beef
½ Pound Ground Turkey
½ Cup Shredded Cheese
½ Cup Fresh or Frozen Peas
1 Large Carrot (chopped thin)
2 Sweet Potatoes (frosting)
4 Ounce of Cream Cheese
1 Cup of Oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
To make the sweet potato frosting:
- Peel and quarter the sweet potato, cover with cold water in a small pot
- Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Cook until fully tender (about 20 minutes)
For the cake:
- Combine beef, turkey, eggs, oats, cheese, peas, and carrots in a mixing bowl.
- Grease the two round baking tins and divide the mixture. Press down to flatten the meat mixture which should be split evenly between the 2 pans.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until meat is cooked through
- Finish the frosting by first draining the water from the sweet potatoes and then returning them to the pot. Slowly add water while mashing to get a smooth frosting-like consistency.
- Remove cooked meat cake from oven and allow to cool.
- Once both the meat and potatoes have cooled, spread some of the mashed sweet potatoes between the two beef patties to join them, and then frost the outside of the joined patties with the remainder of the sweet potato mixture.
To decorate: Use a pastry bag with a decorative tip to create white rosettes on top of the cake with half of the softened cream cheese. Add a few drops of beet juice from a boiled beet to the other half of the softened cream cheese to create pink rosettes. Place a decorative ring of peas and biscuits around the bottom of the cake and add asparagus candles to celebrate each wonderful year of your pup’s life!
As many of you know, most dogs are not very picky when it comes to their food. If it smells even remotely edible they’ll gobble it right up. With that in mind, feel free to edit this cake wherever you see fit! We know your dog will love Halina’s recipe, and we can ensure you that it’s all healthy for the birthday pup. If you give it a shot, please let us know how it goes! We would love to see your pictures and hear advice on how you think this recipe can be improved.
The Lilly Brush Team