My Pet Ate Something Toxic! Now What? - Lilly Brush
Lilly Brush

My Pet Ate Something Toxic! Now What?

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is pet-food.jpg
Photo Courtesy of

Imagine this, you’re baking your famous oatmeal raisin cookies for friends and family to enjoy. A few raisins fall to the ground, but before you can grab them, your pet eats five of them. The next thought running through your mind is, “What do I do? Would five raisins really poison my pet?”

Most of us, I’m sure, have dealt with this at some point in our years of pet ownership. If not, we are here to help make sure your pet is safely taken care of in those situations!

First and foremost, below is an infographic that Nationwide has created to give us an idea of what food items are toxic/hazardous to our pets. Anything with an “!” is urgent and needs veterinary care immediately.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Toxic-Food-Guide-for-Pets-Infographic_FNL_2550-622x1024.jpg

Don’t wait to get help! Waiting until your pet shows symptoms could be too late!

  • Some symptoms may not appear for a few hours or days (loss of appetite being one of them). If they do not appear immediately, don’t hesitate to get them checked if something about your pet’s behavior doesn’t look or feel right.

Call Your Vet Immediately

As calling 911 is only good for human emergencies, calling your local vet is the best route to take. They will be able to provide guidance on how to go about dealing with the issue. Don’t induce vomiting before discussing with your vet as some items eaten can create larger issues by bringing them back up (

If your pet has eaten other objects besides food, it is still best to call a vet clinic. Though they may not seem harmful, many items that are eaten can severely damage intestines or create blockages.

What do I do if it is late and the vet isn’t open?

If it is after hours, call the nearest 24-hour vet clinic or ASPCA’s 24-hour hotline at 1-888-426-4435.

What to have with you in case of an emergency

  • In case the veterinary hospital recommends inducing vomiting, be sure to keep an unopened and unexpired bottle of hydrogen peroxide. A larger type injection syringe (without a needle) is helpful for administering hydrogen peroxide.
  • Make sure you have all pet medical records / information on hand in the event that you may need to see a new vet clinic.

Ways to Prevent Ingestion Emergencies

  • Do not leave garbage in reach of your pet. Ensure that there is a lid on the garbage at all times. (
  • Try not to drop food while cooking. Do not leave cooking area with potentially hazardous items on the counter or in sight.
  •  Ensure any lawn items or fertilizers are not hazardous. When outside with fertilizers, use a leash to bring them to areas that do not contain a potentially threatening fertilizer.

It’s not just food!

There are plenty of “human foods” that are dangerous to cats and dogs, but that isn’t where the worry stops. Dozens of items used by humans every single day can cause serious harm to your pets. Luckily for you and I, Top Dog Vitamins has broken down for us what seemingly routine items can cause your pet serious harm, and they even explain why!

In these situations, it is always better to be safe than sorry. DO consult a pet professional if there is any doubt in your mind about your pet’s safety.


The Lilly Brush Team

Pet Hair Problems in Your Car?

Try our newest product the Mini Pet Hair Detailer, the #1 recommended tool by professional detailers!